Do you judge wine by the label? Then Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon won’t disappoint with its flashy, daring aesthetic. But are the liquid contents equally bold and flavorful? I uncorked this artsy red blend to explore the mystique within the bottle.
|Exact Wine Name: Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon 2021
Producer: Michael David Winery
Country/Region of Origin: Lodi, California, USA
Grape Varietal(s): 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Type: Red Wine
Style: Full-bodied, Fruit-forward
Vintage Year: 2021
Retail Price Range: USD $17-$40 (approximate)
Awards Won: Several medals in regional and national competitions, including a Double Gold at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.
Aroma Profile Details: Black cherry, strawberry, toasted hazelnut, plum, chocolate truffle, butterscotch.
Flavor Profile Details: Ripe plum, dark fruit, strawberry jam, clove, oak, with a smooth, lasting finish.
Peak Drinking Window: Now through 2027
Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 Testing Notes
Ah, Freakshow. The name alone hints at something wild and theatrical, and let me tell you, this 2021 Cabernet doesn’t disappoint. It bursts onto the palate like a rockstar onto the stage, all dark fruit swagger and amplified tannins. Black cherry takes center stage, backed up by a chorus of ripe plum and whispers of toasted hazelnut. Every sip is a party in your mouth, a celebration of bold California sunshine.
But Freakshow isn’t just a one-trick pony. As the initial flourish settles, a deeper complexity emerges. A hint of chocolate truffle peeks through, followed by a subtle whisper of clove. The oak, ever present, isn’t a bully, but a gentle hand guiding the show, adding structure and warmth without stealing the spotlight.
The body? Full-bodied, no question. This is a wine that demands attention, that fills your senses and lingers long after the last drop. But it’s not a bruiser, the tannins are more velvet glove than iron fist. They dance with the fruit, adding texture and intrigue without ever becoming harsh.
- Bold and expressive fruit flavors
- Balanced acidity and tannins
- Smooth and complex finish
- Excellent value for money
- Fun and eye-catching label
- High alcohol content may not be for everyone
- Full-bodied style might not be everyone's preference
- Not a complex or nuanced wine
- Drinkability 4.5/5
- Food Pairing 3.5/5
- Value for Money 5.0/5
- Personal Preference 5.0/5
The finish is the grand finale, a slow fade-out of ripe blackberry and a touch of butterscotch. It lingers like a memory of a great night out, leaving you wanting more but satisfied all the same.
Freakshow may not be for everyone. It’s bold, it’s loud, it’s unapologetically Californian. But for those who love a full-throttle, fruit-forward Cabernet with a touch of mystery, this is a must-try. It’s a wine that lives up to its name, a spectacle for the senses, and one that I’ll definitely be revisiting soon.
So, raise a glass to Freakshow, the Cabernet that rocks your world without breaking the bank. Just remember, this party animal might leave you wanting to encore…and maybe a nap to recover. Cheers! An intriguing, well-made conversation piece at its sub-$20 pricing.
Occasions for This Daring, Fruit-Forward Red
Beyond intriguing wine enthusiasts, Freakshow Cabernet offers versatile, crowd-pleasing pairing abilities. Its plush texture and smooth tannins complement hearty dishes like burgers, steaks or grilled eggplant without overpowering. For gatherings it handles big flavors like chili, Kabobs or Manouri cheese.
Equally this daring red attracts attention at parties with creative names and labels generating interest. Its lush berry flavors even work with dark chocolate dessert pairings should guests linger. Overall an easy-sipping, fruit-lush option suited to most casual dining situations or cocktail chatter moments.
Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 isn’t your average wine. It’s a bold, fruit-forward explosion that throws a party in your mouth, demanding attention with its ripe black cherry, toasted hazelnut, and a touch of chocolate truffle. But pairing this rockstar of a wine requires a culinary stage equally bold and delicious. So, crank up the music, pull out a bottle of Freakshow, and get ready to unleash your inner gourmand with these perfect food pairings:
For the Meat Maestro:
- Grilled steak: Think thick-cut ribeyes or juicy New York strips kissed with smoke and flame. The robust tannins of Freakshow will stand up to the richness of the beef, while the fruit flavors sing alongside the char.
- Burgers: Don’t settle for ordinary patties. Go gourmet with a juicy lamb burger topped with caramelized onions and blue cheese. The sweetness of the onions will play beautifully with the fruit notes of the wine, while the blue cheese adds a touch of funky complexity.
- Lamb chops: Herb-crusted and roasted to perfection, lamb chops are another ideal partner for Freakshow. The wine’s rich body complements the lamb’s savory flavors, while the subtle herbal notes in the crust echo the clove whispers in the wine.
For the Pasta Powerhouse:
- Bolognese: This slow-cooked classic is a match made in heaven for Freakshow. The rich, meaty sauce and creamy pasta strands find their perfect partner in the wine’s full body and ripe fruit flavors. Each bite is a symphony of comfort and complexity.
- Lasagna: Layers of pasta, cheese, and savory meat sauce? Sign us up! Freakshow’s bold tannins cut through the richness of lasagna, while the fruit notes dance with the tomato and herbs. It’s a pairing that’s guaranteed to satisfy.
For the Cheese Connoisseur:
- Aged cheddar: Sharp and tangy, aged cheddar brings a welcome contrast to Freakshow’s fruitiness. The wine’s smooth tannins soften the cheese’s sharpness, creating a delightful push-and-pull of flavors.
- Gruyere: Nutty and slightly sweet, Gruyere adds another layer of complexity to the wine’s profile. The fruit notes of Freakshow sing alongside the cheese’s nuttiness, while the tannins provide a welcome balance.
Beyond the Obvious:
Freakshow might be a full-bodied Cabernet, but don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Try it with:
- Grilled portobello mushrooms: The earthiness of the mushrooms will stand up to the wine’s body, while the smoky notes echo the oak influence.
- Chocolate fondue: Who says wine and chocolate don’t mix? The dark chocolate notes in Freakshow pair beautifully with a rich fondue, creating a decadent and unexpected treat.
Whatever your culinary adventure, remember: Freakshow is a wine that begs to be enjoyed. So, crank up the music, raise a glass, and let the good times (and delicious flavors) roll. Just remember, this wine is a party animal, so pace yourself and savor every sip. Cheers!
Bonus Tip: Don't be afraid to experiment and find your own perfect Freakshow pairing. After all, that's part of the fun!
Tasting Profile of Freakshow’s Cabernet Sauvignon Blend
Let’s anatomize the key components shaping this wine’s experience:
Appearance: Very deep ruby coloring with a bright magenta rim; slightly viscous looking with stained tears
Nose: Blackberry, dark cherry, mocha, vanilla cream, baking spice accents
Palate: Dry, medium+ acidity and heavy-bodied. Abundant black and red berry flavors of blackberry, cherry, plum, red currants. Hints of dark chocolate, oak spice and tobacco emerge mid-palate and continue through the long, smooth finish.
The fruit expression skews very ripe and indulgent, with any sharp edges rounded out by blending choices. The overall style showcases a lush, mouthfilling texture and chocolate-covered fruits flavor impact rather than herbaceousness sometimes expected from Cabernet Sauvignon.
Frequently Asked Questions about Freakshow Wines:
Is freakshow a good wine?
Yes – Freakshow receives consistent scores in the 88-90 point range, signifying very good to excellent quality. Critics praise its bold, luscious fruit flavors and smooth, rich texture at a reasonable price point.
What type of wine is freakshow?
Freakshow wines primarily consist of red blends using grapes like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petite Sirah, Zinfandel and Syrah. These lush, fruit-forward blends aim for crowd-pleasing easy drinking.
What does freakshow taste like?
With red and black berry fruit flavors accented by mocha, vanilla and baking spice notes, the core wines taste smooth, ripe and indulgent. The sweetness and acidity varies by bottling.
Does freakshow wine glow in the dark?
Yes – their Glow Sweet Red wine uses a patented “Blacklight Wine Company” technique causing bottles to glow under UV black lights. It creates quite a spectacle for lively parties and events!
How much alcohol is in freakshow wine?
Alcohol levels range from 13.5%-15% depending on specific freakshow bottling. Their core Cabernet, Chardonnay and Red Blends weigh in around 14.5%, typical for full bodied wines. Sweet editions can reach 15% alcohol.
Is freakshow a sweet wine?
While mostly dry styles, certain Freakshow editions do feature some residual sugar for slight sweetness – notably their Glow Sweet Red and Candy Wine bottlings, which would be considered sweet or dessert wines.